Delinquency & Default Lawyers in Seattle
Student Loan Recovery from Delinquency & Default
If you are behind on your student loan payments, you are either delinquent or in default. Delinquency begins the day after you miss a scheduled payment. It’s fairly common: plenty of people are late on a payment from time to time, due to disorganization or a temporary shortage of funds or even a mix up in the mail. When you catch up on any and all payments that you’ve missed, you’re no longer delinquent.
Default is more serious. If you go 9 months without making a single payment, you are in default, and the government or your private lender can take various actions against you to recover the amount you owe, such as wage garnishment, without any notice or service of a lawsuit.
If you are delinquent or in default on a student loan, your options depend on what type of loan you have. No matter what, our Seattle delinquency and default attorneys are here to help you confront the process head-on.
If you have a federal loan, the government provides a variety of programs to help you rehabilitate or consolidate your loan. Furthermore, the government is required by law to notify you about your options. When you rehabilitate a student loan that is in default, most of the expensive collection fees and default interest will be lifted, and you will once again be eligible for pre-default repayment options, deferment, and income contingency repayment plans.
* Note that as of August 2008, you are entitled to get out of default through rehabilitation only once per loan. There are also limits on how many times you can consolidate.
If you have a private loan, many of the protections described above do not apply.
Experienced, Creative & Sophisticated
With years of experience between our attorneys, our goal is to deliver a higher level of service, only taking cases where we can add value.
We understand that no two cases are ever the same. We provide tailored solutions for every client and strategize in order to provide optimal results.
As a law firm that focuses on creative and collaborative solutions, we always seek opportunities that go even beyond the law to help provide the results you deserve.
Our ability to tackle complex issues has allowed us to win appellate decisions and push the law in our clients' favor. We pursue compensation arrangements that reward success.
Defaulting on a private loan should not be taken lightly. In fact, we urge you to act swiftly in these matters to ensure you stand the best possible chance of recovery. Contacting our team at Henry & DeGraaff is a good place to start.
- We pride ourselves on being problem solvers, and we are eager to take on the tough cases that other firms shy away from. If yours is one of them, do not hesitate to call us for help.
- Unlike many other bankruptcy law firms in the area, we are not afraid to litigate a case. If your situation requires litigation, you want us on your side.
- We are proud members of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy attorneys, the King County Bar Association, the Washington County Bar Association, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- We have helped past clients shave millions of dollars off of their loan debt – we may be able to do the same for you.
We would be happy to review the terms of your loan, assess the circumstances that led to your default, and determine how to best move forward in protecting your rights and best interests.
It is my belief that we came out way ahead of the game but we owe the success to Jacob.- Kim & Mike
5 stars are not enough.- Joe
Jacob successfully took over our Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.- Jerry
Jacob was always focused on our needs and desires concerning our real estate.- Previous Client
If you need their services don't hesitate to give them a call.- Reese H.