Consumer Protection Litigation Attorneys in Seattle
Defending Your Rights as a Consumer in the State of Washington
While various state and federal laws protect the nation’s consumers from unfair, abusive, and deceptive business tactics, holding agencies and companies accountable for their unlawful actions is nearly impossible without the support of a seasoned legal team.
At Henry & DeGraaff, we have spent more than three decades developing our legal skills and knowledge, and we have a proven track record of effectively representing clients in debt collection defense and foreclosure defense cases. We are fully prepared to litigate complex cases on behalf of consumers throughout the state of Washington, protecting them against issues like credit discrimination, misrepresentation, unfair competition, breach of contract, and much more. If you are entering into a dispute with a consumer reporting agency, debt collector, lender, or any other type of business, we want to help you attain the favorable resolution you deserve.
Many different laws prohibit lenders, debt collectors, and other organizations from abusing consumers in various ways.
Here are just a few examples of the consumer protection laws our attorneys use to achieve favorable resolutions for our clients:
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The FDCPA prohibits a debt collector from utilizing unfair, deceptive, or abusive collection tactics. For example, they cannot use profane or obscene language, threaten you with violence, or pretend to be government officials.
- Washington State Consumer Protection Act. This legislation prohibits unfair or deceptive trade and commerce tactics. The goal of this act is to ensure the people of Washington have access to a fair, nondeceptive, and competitive marketplace (see RCW 19.86).
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act. Under this act, creditors cannot discriminate against credit applicants based on certain protected classes (e.g. race, color, religion, nationality, sex, marital status, or age). A credit application denial is also considered discrimination if it fails to state the specific reasons for the denial without giving the proper notice. This also applies to a change in the terms of an existing credit arrangement, or a refusal to grant credit in substantially the amount or on substantially the terms requested. (see 15 U.S.C. 1691).
Experienced, Creative & Sophisticated
With years of experience between our attorneys, our goal is to deliver a higher level of service, only taking cases where we can add value.
We understand that no two cases are ever the same. We provide tailored solutions for every client and strategize in order to provide optimal results.
As a law firm that focuses on creative and collaborative solutions, we always seek opportunities that go even beyond the law to help provide the results you deserve.
Our ability to tackle complex issues has allowed us to win appellate decisions and push the law in our clients' favor. We pursue compensation arrangements that reward success.
We also handle cases involving:
- Negligent misrepresentation. A negligent misrepresentation claim, unlike other consumer protection claims, is premised not merely upon a false representation, but on an injury flowing from reliance on the false representation. A business, bank, or other entity can liable for negligent misrepresentation if it supplied false information that they knew, or should have known, would guide the a plaintiff in making a business decision (and that the plaintiff justifiably relied on the false information).
- Breach of contract. When a business, bank, or other entity that fails to fulfill its contractual obligations can be held liable for breach of contract in a court of law. Failure to follow the terms in a contract related to application of payments, the issues of fees, costs and attorneys fees, or failure to comply with a modification or repayment agreement are actionable in a lawsuit.
Due to state and federal statutes of limitations, we have only a certain number of years to take lenders, debt collectors, bank, and other entities to court. The sooner you retain our dedicated counsel, the more time we will have to adequately prepare your case and win a favorable resolution on your behalf.
It is my belief that we came out way ahead of the game but we owe the success to Jacob.- Kim & Mike
5 stars are not enough.- Joe
Jacob successfully took over our Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.- Jerry
Jacob was always focused on our needs and desires concerning our real estate.- Previous Client
If you need their services don't hesitate to give them a call.- Reese H.